On 5 January The Straits Times of Singapore published as its lead opinion essay a review of ‘Conversations with Ban Ki-moon,” the new book on the United Nations Secretary General that is featured as part of the ‘Giants of Asia’ series. The reviewer Asas Latif, a visiting research fellow at the highly regarded Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore, found to the series of intimate conversations with the former South Korean foreign minister to be “excellent” and praised the author Tom Plate, founder of The New ASIA MEDIA, for his “patience” in slowing unraveling the views and feelings of the UN top official. So far the book has appeared on some bestseller lists in Asia and is due for a Second Edition some time later this year. It is published by Marshal Cavendish International (Asia) and is the fourth in the series on important figures from Asia, including Thaksin Shinawatra of Thailand, Mahathir Mohamad of Malaysia and Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore, which book ‘Conversations with Lee Kuan Yew’ is about to be re-issued as a Second Edition (4th printing).
SINGAPORE: Book on UN Secretary General Reviewed
By Tom Plate | December 12, 2012
About Tom PlateTom Plate is a journalist and university professor who has worked at Time magazine, the Los Angeles Times, Newsday and other media institutions.
Leave a Reply Click here to cancel reply.
Professor Tom Plate meets with South-South News
Staff Writer Lauren Chen Reflects on the Death of a Journalist
Tom Plate Column
The latest syndicated column from Asia Media Founder Tom Plate: When Thatcher Had to Bow Down to the Asian Century - and the Rise of China "The West needs to bear in mind that the end of history did not occur with the fall of the Berlin Wall. The rise of China and Asia shows history still churning and turning." (Tom Plate column continued: More
Asia Media Staff
- Kiara Bramasco
- Brian Canave
- Gabriella Castro
- Lauren Chen
- Yvonne Epps
- Jeremiah Fajardo
- Lailanie Gadia
- Jessica Gadomski
- Stephanie Garcia
- Alexandre Guiraud-Cointreau
- Holli Knight
- Cory Lai
- Eric Joseph De Lara
- Ryan Lippert
- Lani Luo
- Patricia Martin
- Marlena Nip
- Latifah RahmDel
- Nicole Saba
- Selina Swatek
- Lexie Tucker
Special Assistant to the Editor in Chief
Editor in Chief and Founder:
- THE SEMESTER ENDS, BUT THE MAGAZINE KEEPS ON GOING
- GOODBYE TO THE ASIA MEDIA CLASS OF ’13!
- PHILIPPINES: Getting Away with Media Manslaughter
- PAKISTAN: List of Truth or Defamation?
- NORTH KOREA: American Tried for Treason
- PAKISTAN: 2013 Elections Tainted by Violence
- MALAYSIA: Elections Up In Flames!
- JAPAN: From Shrines to Tanks, Abe’s Cabinet Faces Criticism
- TAIWAN: Two Way Street for Television in China and Taiwan
- LAOS: Worries for Laos
- CHINA: The Creation of an Internet Security Powerhouse
- SINGAPORE: Can’t Take a Joke?
- MYANMAR: Entering a Dangerous Period?
- BANGLADESH: Collapsing Disaster in Booming Garment Industry
- LEBANON: Who Are They Punishing?