PARAMODELING IN HANOI
An extraordinary exhibition of what is called Japanese “paramodel” art recently enjoyed a very popular run in Hanoi. Displayed at the Japanese Foundation Center in Hanoi, Vietnam, the exhibition incorporated local Vietnamese toys into their distinctive installation style. The show was a culmination of a two-week residency in the Japan Foundation Centre for Cultural Exchange in Vietnam. The project included a workshop at the Hanoi College of Fine Arts that taught attendees how to create Paramodel installations — and even invited them to play with their artwork. According to the highly informative online art journal ART RADAR, which happily publicized this event, “paramodel exhibitions are always site-specific, incorporating local elements from the country where they are working. For this exhibition, the artists included several Vietnamese toys and everyday objects, such as local toy trucks, cranes and bricks.”
ASIA MEDIA thanks Art Radar, which describes itself as the only editorially independent online news source writing about contemporary art across Asia. Whatever — we like this site a lot.
PARAMODELING IN HANOI
By Tom Plate on March 15, 2012
Professor Tom Plate meets with South-South News
Staff Writer Lauren Chen Reflects on the Death of a Journalist
Tom Plate Column
The latest syndicated column from Asia Media Founder Tom Plate: When Thatcher Had to Bow Down to the Asian Century - and the Rise of China "The West needs to bear in mind that the end of history did not occur with the fall of the Berlin Wall. The rise of China and Asia shows history still churning and turning." (Tom Plate column continued: More
Asia Media Staff
- Kiara Bramasco
- Brian Canave
- Gabriella Castro
- Lauren Chen
- Yvonne Epps
- Jeremiah Fajardo
- Lailanie Gadia
- Jessica Gadomski
- Stephanie Garcia
- Alexandre Guiraud-Cointreau
- Holli Knight
- Cory Lai
- Eric Joseph De Lara
- Ryan Lippert
- Lani Luo
- Patricia Martin
- Marlena Nip
- Latifah RahmDel
- Nicole Saba
- Selina Swatek
- Lexie Tucker
Special Assistant to the Editor in Chief
Editor in Chief and Founder:
- THE SEMESTER ENDS, BUT THE MAGAZINE KEEPS ON GOING
- GOODBYE TO THE ASIA MEDIA CLASS OF ’13!
- PHILIPPINES: Getting Away with Media Manslaughter
- PAKISTAN: List of Truth or Defamation?
- NORTH KOREA: American Tried for Treason
- PAKISTAN: 2013 Elections Tainted by Violence
- MALAYSIA: Elections Up In Flames!
- JAPAN: From Shrines to Tanks, Abe’s Cabinet Faces Criticism
- TAIWAN: Two Way Street for Television in China and Taiwan
- LAOS: Worries for Laos
- CHINA: The Creation of an Internet Security Powerhouse
- SINGAPORE: Can’t Take a Joke?
- MYANMAR: Entering a Dangerous Period?
- BANGLADESH: Collapsing Disaster in Booming Garment Industry
- LEBANON: Who Are They Punishing?