We know what you’re thinking: cut to the chase. A protracted presentation about web quality assurance isn’t in anyone’s interest, but before we all congratulate ourselves on a job well-done, we should understand what we’re celebrating with some minimal context. Many of us have heard the familiar refrain: we have broken links and misspellings on our website: DO SOMETHING!
As we described in my May 1st post introducing SiteImprove, the Web Office and departments all over campus have been engaged in a major housekeeping exercise the past three months. The results speak for themselves: in the first three months since the June 3rd roll-out, we’ve cut in half all issues across LMU.edu. That bested our “optimal scenario.” And our most visible departments and pages were all tackled, so while it’s time for us to continue digging deep, let’s look at the numbers for June 3-August 30.
- We eliminated 3,145 broken links spanning over 28,000 pages containing 56,191 links, representing 60% of all link problems university-wide.
- We corrected 241 misspellings and typos.
- 139 faculty, staff and students were trained and are active users of our SiteImprove web quality assurance system.
- Undergraduate Admission was the first website to achieve 100% error-free status on June 10.
On to the winners. Like the award shows, we have a few ways to recognize well-deserved groups for their work. We’ve broken it into three categories:
- Perfection: 100% Error Free Sites
- Top 10 Most Improved Sites (by number of broken links fixed)
- Top 7 Most Improved Sites (by percentage of broken links fixed)
Perfection: 100% Error Free Sites
- Seaver College of Science and Engineering
- Undergraduate Admission
- Graduate Admissions
- Financial Aid
- Alumni Relations
- Capital Campaign / Give
- Human Resources
- William H. Hannon Library
- Public Safety
- Political Science (BCLA)
- Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS)
- Student Housing
- Center for Service and Action
- Student Health Services
- Event Services
- Academic Community of Excellence
- Center for the Study of Los Angeles
- Study Abroad
- Disability Support Services
Top 10 Most Improved Sites (by number of broken links fixed)
- Student Affairs (eliminated 761 broken links)
- Event Services (eliminated 285 broken links)
- Ethnic and Intercultural Services (subset of Student Affairs – eliminated 214 broken links)
- Extension (eliminated 186 broken links)
- Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts (eliminated 166 broken links)
- Seaver College of Science and Engineering (eliminated 159 broken links)
- Student Housing (subset of Student Affairs – eliminated 149 broken links)
- Center for Service and Action (subset of Student Affairs – eliminated 136 broken links)
- College of Communication and Fine Arts (eliminated 130 broken links)
- Center for the Study of Los Angeles (eliminated 100 broken links)
Top 7 Most Improved Sites (by percentage)
- Undergraduate Admission (100% improvement)
- Graduate Admission (100% improvement)
- Seaver College of Science and Engineering (99% improvement)
- University Library (99% improvement)
- Student Affairs (95% improvement)
- College of Business Administration (92% improvement)
- School of Education (66% improvement)